Have you ever noticed your appliances stop working without any known reason? If yes, then you may have been hit from the electric surge. Electric surges are too common in those areas where the electric supply is not up to the mark. And if you are living in such area, then it is advised that you should have your devices secured from the adverse effects of the electric surges.
Electric surges and voltage fluctuations are the key reasons why most electrical appliances fail across the world. No matter how expensive and stable appliance you have bought you will still need some extra protection to keep them safe against the unexpected electric surges. The surges can hit regardless of your geographical location and thus it is essential that you should prepare yourself for the situation.
And although you can use the inbuilt stabilizers to deal with the voltage fluctuations, you would need some external protection too in order to make your appliances safe from the electric surges. The electric surge protectors are the best and the simplest way to deal with the electric surges. And as they are an important thing to have at home, you can easily find the best one according to your needs in the market.
And as said, you should connect your valuable electric appliances to a reliable surge protector to avoid the damage caused due to the unexpected surges.
Benefits of using the surge protectors at home/workplaces
As said, the main reason for using the surge protectors is to save the expensive electrical appliances from the surges. However, it is not the only reason why we use the surge protectors for. Some of the major benefits of using the surge protectors are listed as follows. Go through them, and know whether you should invest in a good surge protector, or not.
- They are the most affordable and easiest way to deal with the electric surges
- BY installing a reliable surge protector, you can easily avoid the heavy maintenance cost or the replacement cost (in case of severe damage)
- It also helps you connect multi devices to one socket. So, if you are planning to develop an entertainment center at home and are looking to connect multiple devices to one socket without compromising with the safety, then the surge protectors are the best things to buy.
- The surge protectors are available in the different sizes and designs. So, you won’t have to compromise with the looks of your home interiors while planning to buy a surge protector. Just make sure that the surge protector you are buying is capable enough to provide the ultimate protection to your devices, and you are ready to stay safe in case of unexpected electric surges.
Apart from these, there are plenty of more benefits that you can experience after purchasing a reliable surge protector for your home.
For those buyers who are looking to buy the surge protector, but aren’t sure about the product that will be best according to their needs, here’s the list of ten best surge protectors that they can currently buy from the market.
Go through the list, choose the one that fulfills your needs and buy the best surge protector before the stocks end.
Best Buy Surge Protector In 2020
Table of Contents
- Best Buy Surge Protector In 2020
- 1. HOLSEM 12 Outlets Surge Protector Power Strip with USB Ports (5V/3.1A) and 6′ Heavy Duty Extension Cord, Black
- 2. APC 11-Outlet Surge Protector 3020 Joules with Telephone, DSL and Coaxial Protection, SurgeArrest Performance (P11VT3)
- 3. APC 6-Outlet Wall Surge Protector with USB Charging Ports, SurgeArrest Essential (P6WU2)
- 4. ECHOGEAR Power Strip Surge Protector with 8 Rotating-Outlets, Cable Management, Flat Plug & Fireproof Technology – 2160 Joules of Surge Protection – Expand Outlet Capacity & Keep Your Gear Safe
- 5. APC 11-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip with USB Charging Ports, 2880 Joules, SurgeArrest Home/Office (P11U2)
- 6. Belkin 6-Outlet SurgeMaster Wall-Mount Surge Protector, 1240 Joules (F9H620-CW)
- 7. AmazonBasics 6-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip 2-Pack, 200 Joule – Black
- 8. Belkin 12-Outlet Pivot-Plug Power Strip Surge Protector with 8-Foot Power Cord, 4320 Joules (BP112230-08)
- 9. APC 7-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip 1440 Joules, SurgeArrest Essential (PE76)
- 10. Accell Powramid Air – Slim 6-Outlet Surge Protector
- Different Types of Surge Protectors
- How to Choose, Buy and safely use a good surge protector with FAQ
- Here are some FAQ which is asked by most of the people buying Surge Protector.
1. HOLSEM 12 Outlets Surge Protector Power Strip with USB Ports (5V/3.1A) and 6′ Heavy Duty Extension Cord, Black
HOLSEM surge protector is a great surge protector for those users who are looking for reliable surge protection with a lot of useful design benefits and portability. It has 12 power outlets that help you connect your full entertainment system of PC. Out of the 12, 6 outlets are widely spaced outlets that let the user to connect the devices with larger adapters. Apart from this, the surge protector also has three smart USB charging ports out of which two are with Smart IC technology and the other one is the normal USB charging port.
The best features of the powers trip are listed as follows
- 4000-Joule energy rating makes it ideal for PCs and home theatre system
- Cleverly designed outlets
- 6ft heavy duty cable
- Overload protection
2. APC 11-Outlet Surge Protector 3020 Joules with Telephone, DSL and Coaxial Protection, SurgeArrest Performance (P11VT3)
This is another brilliant surge protector that is cleverly built according to the customers’ needs. The surge protector has 11 outlets that can be closed by a slider for added safety. The surge protector comes with a lifetime warranty that makes it a great value product for homes as well the offices. The power rating for the surge protector is 3020 joules that makes it a perfect surge protector for the expensive devices like the home entertainment system, or the gaming zone.
Talking about the top features of the APC power strip, these are
- Heavy duty 8ft cable
- Telephone and co-axial protection
- 6-widely spaced outlets for the devices with bigger adapters
- High-end build quality
3. APC 6-Outlet Wall Surge Protector with USB Charging Ports, SurgeArrest Essential (P6WU2)
For the buyers who are looking for a great looking surge protector that can easily be mounted on the wall, this surge protector from APC would be a brilliant buy. With separate USB charging port and wide spaced outlets, this is one of the most useful surge protectors in the list. Apart from the brilliant design and flawless protection, the things that make it a great buy are listed as follows
- 1080 joule rating
- Perfectly balanced body
- Lifetime warranty with the equipment protection policy
4. ECHOGEAR Power Strip Surge Protector with 8 Rotating-Outlets, Cable Management, Flat Plug & Fireproof Technology – 2160 Joules of Surge Protection – Expand Outlet Capacity & Keep Your Gear Safe
This surge protector from Echogear is a perfect product for those buyers who are looking forward to buy a surge protector with advanced design and that is easy to use. With the rotating outlets, this protector provides a perfect solution to the buyers who have devices with a larger adapter that are hard to fit in a straight-line surge protector.
Here are top features that we loved about the surge protector
- High-end rotating outlets
- Cable management hooks to make the things more manageable
- 2160 joule rating
- Heavy duty power cable
5. APC 11-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip with USB Charging Ports, 2880 Joules, SurgeArrest Home/Office (P11U2)
P11U2 is another brilliant surge protector from APC. With an 11 outlet setup, this may seem a bulkier choice to opt for, but for those buyers who are willing to connect all their major electrical devices to one surge protector, this will be a perfect buy. With 2880 joule rating this surge protector can easily handle all your valuable electronics. Below is the list of top features of the power strip
- 2880 joule rating makes it a perfect surge protector for large appliances
- Has 2 USB charging port that makes it a great buy for those users who want to charge their smart devices with surge protection
- Lifetime warranty along with $250000 equipment protection policy
6. Belkin 6-Outlet SurgeMaster Wall-Mount Surge Protector, 1240 Joules (F9H620-CW)
F9H620-CW is another brilliantly designed surge protector from Belkin. Primarily designed as a wall mounted surge protector, this is a perfect protector for the buyers who are looking for a great looking surge protector with a good number of power outlet and can be used to provide the utmost protection against the unexpected surges. 1240 joule rating makes it a perfect protector for the basic PCs and small electrical appliances. Here are the features that we loved about the surge protector from Belkin.
- Stable body
- Best for the buyers who want to buy a perfect surge protector for small electrical appliances
- LED indicators
7. AmazonBasics 6-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip 2-Pack, 200 Joule – Black
AmazonBasics 6-outlet basic surge protector is for those buyers who have simple PCs with not too heavy peripherals attached to it. With a decent 200 joule rating, this is a great buy for normal users. Moreover, the surge protector comes with a 2ft heavy-duty power cable that provides perfect support to the device. The best features of the AmazonBasics Power Strip are
- LED indicator
- Has option for wall mount
- Lightweight and compact design
8. Belkin 12-Outlet Pivot-Plug Power Strip Surge Protector with 8-Foot Power Cord, 4320 Joules (BP112230-08)
Belkin wall mount is another brilliant surge protector for those buyers who prefer buying the wall mounted surge protectors for their devices. This power strip not only looks great but also has 8 rotating outlets and 4 stationary surge protected outlets that provide the users ultimate flexibility. With a joule rating of 4320, this power strip can easily handle your home theatre system or a high-end gaming setup. Here are the features that we loved about the power strip
- Brilliantly designed outlets
- Reliable wall mount
- Block space outlets for larger adapters
9. APC 7-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip 1440 Joules, SurgeArrest Essential (PE76)
IF you are looking for the simple yet an effective surge protector for yourself, that is compact, and have effective joule ratings, then the APC PE76 is a great choice for you. With one wide and six normal outlets, this is perfect for PC setup. Can be used as a normal or wall-mounted power strip, this is one of the most affordable surge protectors in the list.
Here are the features that we loved about this electric surge protector from APC.
- 1440 joule rating
- 6ft highly durable power cable
- Lifetime warranty along with $50000 equipment protection policy
- Lightweight and easy to use
10. Accell Powramid Air – Slim 6-Outlet Surge Protector
If you are fed-up of usual power strips and are looking to buy something that is different and beautiful apart from being efficient then the Accel Powramid Air would be a brilliant choice. This circular surge protector has six outlets and two USB charging ports.
Features that we loved about the surge protector
- Compact and lightweight body
- More stable than the line power strips
- 1080 joule rating
- 6ft heavy-duty power cable
So, these were the ten best surge protectors available for you in the market. Choose the one that fulfills your needs and is in your budget.
Different Types of Surge Protectors
Different types of surge protectors help in protecting your appliances against sudden power fluctuations. Power surges end up damaging the entire appliance, before you even know it. Let us look at different types of surge protectors:
Entrance protector: While the power enters your home from the power distribution company, you would like to protect your appliances against any form of disruption. The power surges can be controlled with the help of entrance surge protector, that prevents high volumes of power fluctuation in the power from entering your home and damaging all of your devices. The current follows the path of flowing through the entrance protector, before it flows into the house, which makes the entrance protector one of the best forms of the surge protector. Less in cost, but high in efficiency, these surge protectors perform the best during the sudden disruptions
Home protectors: This is also known as Type 2 protectors, which help in protecting your entire house against surges. You can protect the home against the surges by installing the different types of surge protectors, i.e. Type 2 surge protectors come in different variants, which needs to be installed within the home.
Receptacle: The receptacle surge protector, one of the most common ones which are available, helps in proper protection against any form of fluctuation. You can use it to protect multiple devices at the same time, by connecting them to the receptacle. A power strip can be such an example, that you might have also used in your day to day life, as a surge protector. If you are looking forward to saving your small devices against any form of surges, the electrical goods can be protected by using the receptacles.
Combined protectors: Even though there are separate Type 1 and Type 2 protectors, you can also avail the most common form of combined protectors, that help you to protect your appliances. Such protects, both type 1 and type 2 combined perform in an excellent way, as it prevents the major surges as well as the minor ones from affecting your electrical goods, thus ensuring complete safety of your product.
Now, let us understand which protector to be used when. If you are looking forward to protecting any surges from entering your home, using the Type 1 (Entrance Protector) will be a better option. It allows in curbing out the surges at the entrance point. In case the entrance protector fails, the Type 2 (Home protectors), which are fitted within the main electrical chamber of your home, can be used to protect the entire house from surges. Your last defense should be the receptacle, that provides the protection to your electrical appliance from any sort of surges. The receptacles work good for low current and high voltage applications, hence to be used for the electrical appliances. If you are looking forward to increasing the utility of the first line of defense of your house, it is suggested to use the combination of the first and second types of surge protectors, combine. It will ensure that your home remains protected and you can sleep peacefully at night.
How to Choose, Buy and safely use a good surge protector with FAQ
Before buying Power surgery, you should know your own requirements and budget, especially so that you don’t end up getting disappointed. You should always check if the surge protector can handle the heavy voltage current spikes. The more powerful surge protector you will get, it would be more beneficial for you. You should check the warranty time of the product before purchasing it from any store. Here is the buying guide of good surge protector which you can buy from the market:
The surge protector which you are planning to buy should be highly durable and it should not get damaged easily. It’s not necessary to get the surge protector with high prices but you definitely need to check its material so that ti can last for a longer time.
Three line protection
There is a different kind of surge protectors available in the market but you have to get the one which comes with three line protection. This would never create the issue of voltage surges at your home. All you need to do is look at the features of the surge protector and if you find three-line protection, then you can buy it.
After checking the features of the surge protector, you have focused on the budget. The price of the device should be affordable and you can compare on different stores to get the right price of surge protector delivered at your home.
Finally, the warranty period of the device is necessary if you want it to work well for the coming years. If you will get the surge protector with warranty, then the professionals of the brand company would arrive at your home for repairing it if there is an issue during the warranty time period.
Here are some FAQ which is asked by most of the people buying Surge Protector.
How can I protect my appliances from voltage surge?
Now it has become easy to protect your appliance from voltage surge by using the surge protectors. These protectors can help you to prevent damage caused by lightning but it can guard your appliance against all other kinds of voltage spikes.
What are some things which I should look first before buying a Surge protector?
Do you know surge protectors are available in a number of shapes? There are different sizes available for you to select from. You need to check the length of power cable when you are buying this product. Other than this, you have to check if it has got an outlet for different types of electronics you are going to use. Here are some more things which you should remember while buying a Surge protector:
- Check the Seal certification
- MOV Technology
- Less Clamping Voltage and three line protection
- Diagnostic lights
- Long warranty period
- Always keep the budget into your consideration
What can be some of the extra features of a surge protector?
There are certain features which you will get after buying a surge protector and you should always check the extra features which you can get while investing in this product. Here are some extra features which can come when you buying the best surge protector for your home:
- In-built circuit breaker available
- USB ports availability
- LED display option
- Ethernet and coaxial jacks
- Wireless control options
- Surge protection for the whole house
- Motion sensors
- Energy saving stars
- Power conditioning
- Three line protection
So, these are some benefits which you will get after you get the extra loaded surge protector at your home.
Can I get a surge protector with a warranty? What are its benefits?
Whenever you are buying something, it is necessary to get the item with the manufacturer’s warranty and the same applies in the case of the surge protector. Even if the warranty won’t be useful due to the high quality of the product but you should never buy any product without a warranty period. Also, check the terms and conditions of the warranty period before confirming the payment for the product.
Is it necessary to consider performance ratings of Surge protector?
Whenever you are buying any electrical appliance, you should definitely check its performance. The energy absorption of this product works better when it is higher. So, always check the joule protection provided with the surge protector. If you are buying it for smaller equipment at your home, then you can get it under 1000 joules but for the computer and heavy appliances, you should buy the one with 2500 and more ratings. You have to check the clamping voltage of it and it should be higher as it represents the tolerant power of the product from electric spikes. Get the surge protector which comes with lower response time as it would be better as compared to the one which can respond faster. You can see the one which comes with a response time which is around nanosecond.
What are some things which you should remember while using this appliance?
When you are using this product, you need to ensure that it is plugged in a grounded outlet. Not only you should check the joule rating but you have to check response time and clamping voltage while buying it. Never use the bad quality of daisy chain protectors with the different surge protector as it can cause overloading risk. Surge protectors can get older with the passage of time and that’s why you need to check if you should get the new one or not. Replacement of the surge protector becomes crucial when it stops working properly.
How can I place an order for the best surge protector?
You don’t need to do anything other than selecting the best online store from where you can get it at reasonable prices. Not only you should check the feature of the product but you should also have a look at the prices. When you are at the right store, you can place the order for surge protector according to your requirements and you are never even going to regret it at all. You can make the payment through online payment methods available for you.